Friday 16 December 2011

Dressing up my life...

How changing my look changed the way I think and reason.
I'm no fashionista, just a tomboy who is enjoying playing with clothes.

I remember back in 2008 when the guy I was seeing at the time confronted me about my clothes and dress sense. This guy, in just one sentence spoiled my day.
It was not that I agreed with what he said, It's that I was pissed off at how someone could make the mistake of thinking I give a 'hoot' about image.
He was basically saying I don't look like a professional or someone's employee because I dress like a boy.
He was right but I could not see it at the time.
My response - "I'll never dress up for anyone or anything because I expect my work to speak for me". Yep, I really said that. I also went on to say "the most important thing is that I'm clean from head to toe". With that, I ended that upsetting conversation and left.

I thought about his words for the next year but did nothing to work on my wardrobe, look or appearance.
For all I knew, comfort was key, comfort and cleanliness - the rest was just ridiculous.

My two older sisters and almost every woman I know have always made fun of my dress sense. I've been hearing about my nice frame, gorgeous body or perfect package for years -- all because I don't dress it up. "What a waste" they say.

Me, sneakers, jeans, sweaters and t-shirts have been buddies forever. Sure I had the occasional skirt and dress, sure I shocked my colleagues with a pair of high-heels once a year but - that was it.

Come motherhood, I started having an interest in actual clothes, not a serious interest but one that had me buying a few different (and elegant) pieces of clothing. Not that I wore them. For some reason, they just looked perfect in my closet. Are you shaking your head? Me too. I also started buying more high-heels, they too just seemed fine sitting there and not on my feet.

It was a conversation with a colleague of mine that had me thinking. Nino Zama was on her way out of the company, moving to another. During our last few days as office mates - we slipped into a conversation about me and my wasted shape.
Just to help you understand, Nino is about 7 years older than me and she always looks like she's going to a cocktail party - always.
I must have been wearing loose jeans, reef like boots - do you remember them ellese boots that look like Timberlands? Yep, those ones and a t-shirt.
She and I were not having this conversation for the first time but for some reason - it hit me that day.

From that day onwards, I decided - I'm going to work on feeling good about what I'm wearing. That simple attitude adjustment started leading my life to a very positive direction.
I started enjoying my clothes so much I felt like taking a pic every now and then - why not, I thought.

This blog is my way of sharing my closet, fashion diaries and simple but very effective efforts with you.
The pics are still......let's call them impromptu for the lack of a better word.
They were taken by different people at different locations - I promise they (and the blog) will get better.

I'm no fashion guru or icon, I don't know what the current trends are or what the expectation is. I just know that I feel a lot better about clothes, my body and image.

I hope you enjoy it...

Tumi

3 comments:

  1. My friend U even went to Italy and came back with Nike sneakers. How I wish to be freinds withi high heels, if only I can find ones that would be able to carry my weight!!
    Gr8 piece of writting my friend I will sure read again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u just summed it up for me.....i cud not add on anymore.....i will follow and learn,u just awakened a sleeping beauty in me....i love you for that and more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...my ex boyfriend said to me at the begining of the year, 'hey dont you need to have a manicure / pedicure?' I looked at him, I looked at my hands (with chipped nails) and my feet (with have scrapped of polish in peep toe shoes) and felt like I had been slapped because his opinion really mattered to me...I immediately went sliently to my room and emerged 15 min later with fully painted toes and clipped nails and ready to go on our date without saying a word. What I was thinking tho was hey I am overweight does he wonder when I am going to join a gym too?

    [The only thing I had going for me is that two boyfriends before hiim I had shed my tomboy jeans and trainers look and had a few heels and pretty things in the closet that even made my big shape look good if i do say so myself)

    Since becoming single again I have been thinking about that day, about my whole look and attitude; 'im too busy to get into shape and spend days in salons being pretty' and part of me wonders if this was one of the reasons it ended tho my self esteem was way to low for me to ask...

    This post has inspired me the way that last conversation with your collegue inspired you, lacking the gorgous shape you have my transformation will take a little longer but one day and one day not to far from today I hope to send you a picture of the new me that in alot of ways you have helped inspire me to aspire for today :-)

    ReplyDelete